Your matric dance is one of the most memorable nights of your life. The decor, the food, the music will all be remembered for years to come, as will the fun times spent with your friends and partner. The most important part of this night is your dress. Choosing a matric dance dress is and adventure in itself, so below are some useful tips for finding the perfect dress for the perfect night!
Dress for your body type
When looking for your dress, you should always take your body type into account, so your dress fits perfectly. Here are some tips for choosing the right dress for your shape.
- Tall and thin: Tall, thin people are usually easier to dress due to their slim shape and height, but can sometimes lack curves to hold a dress on perfectly. If you are looking to create curves, opt for a dress which emphasises the waist line, such as a wrap dress or a dress with a waistband in a different colour to draw the eyes to your waist.
- Hourglass: An hourglass figure works well with figure-hugging material, as this will accentuate your curves. Look for dresses that emphasise your small waist and to create the illusion of a longer body, opt for a dress with a V-neckline or off the shoulder style. A-line or empire style dresses are ideal for this body shape and can create a soft, romantic aesthetic in flowing materials.
- Apple: If you carry your weight around the abdomen and midriff, avoid dresses that hug the body too tightly, as this can highlight problem areas. Long, empire style dresses in soft, flowing fabric are an ideal option for this body shape, as are halter-neck tops and V-necklines.
- Pear-shaped: For a body that is smaller on top and bigger at the bottom, look for dresses that have a fuller bottom half and a tight upper section. A ball gown dress will look gorgeous on your figure, as will a corset style bodice with a flared bottom half. Be wary of tight-fitting fabrics as these can accentuate bigger hips.
- Petite: Avoid large, pouffy dresses or elaborate ball gowns, as these dresses will drown you and make you look smaller and shorter. Look for asymmetrical designs or dresses with a slit in the side to show off your legs and make you appear taller. Knee-length dresses are ideal for this body type, and V-necklines and halter-neck tops lengthen your body.
Know your style and preferences
Many young girls have imagined their matric dance dress since they were old enough to know what the occasion was. You may even have a specific picture in your mind about how you want it to look, which is helpful in finding the ideal dress.
However, if you are unsure as to which dress type you prefer, you should look in your wardrobe to find your style and preferences. If you notice that you have a large collection of romantic, floaty dresses and tops, your style is most likely feminine and delicate. If your wardrobe consists of classic staples such as white shirts and black trousers, you should opt for clean, classic lines in simple colours.
As important as the dress is, the shoes play an equal role. Look for a pair of ladies shoes that are comfortable enough to wear the whole night through, but be sure they complement your dress. Matching your shoes to your dress is an important part of finding the right matric dance outfit.
Shoes with thin heels may look glamorous but are often uncomfortable and break easily, so look for shoes with a thicker heel. Your jewellery should not outshine your dress but should rather highlight aspects of it. You can match a silver pendant necklace with a dress that has silver sequins, and gold is perfect for black or jewel-toned dresses.
Shop with an open mind
You may have entered a dress store with a preconceived idea in your mind of The Dress’, but it is important to shop with an open mind. ‘The Dress’ may not look as good on you as you expected, which can be disappointing if you are not open to other options.
If you have been to five or more stores and can feel your mood turning sour, stop shopping. Trying on matric dance dresses should be fun, and shopping while in a bad mood can close your mind to the options available. Rather leave the dress shopping for another day and go home to think about what you have tried on.
Always wear the correct underwear
In order to achieve the full effect of a dress, you should always wear the correct underwear. For a sweetheart neckline, it is best to wear a strapless bra, for a low-backed, strapless number look for stick on bras and always wear seamless panties or even shapewear underneath.
Having the right underwear underneath your beautiful dress will save you from having to deal with embarrassment, such as a bra strap sticking out of a crisscrossed back or a panty line showing through a figure-hugging dress. Make sure your underwear is the correct colour too, and avoid wearing anything brightly coloured under a pale or white dress.
Dance the night away
If you look for a dress that suits your body type, learn your own personal style and accessorise accordingly. This way, you will be able to choose the perfect matric dance dress in no time. Remember to shop with an open mind and not to let your mood dictate your choices. Having a dress in mind can be helpful but it can also mean that you do not look at other beautiful dresses. Take your friends along for a advice and remember to have fun!